Friday, March 07, 2008

The world keeps turning

I was reading Hystersisters the other day and felt very sad about a story of a 22 year old women who has to have surgery for her cancer and she found it hard to tell her parents. Not for the usual reasons but because they are deeply religious and her father does not believe in medical treatment. She has decided to go ahead, knowing it's the right thing for her but also knowing that he may disown her. I can't imagine how she must feel - cancer is isolating enough without being rejected by the people you need the most.

I've been feeling a bit bleurgh this week - not sure why. Perhaps it's something to do with my results - it's all good but I sometimes feel that it's never over. Perhaps it's because I've been reading more stories about more women who are dealing with cancer and all the crap it brings.

I'm disappointed in some of the people on Jo's - not the people I know and trust, but once again there's been bitchiness. Not so much public but it makes me feel sad that people can be so cruel. It's odd how things like that immediately transport you back to school and that feeling of realising that people can be really really nasty.

And of course as much as you want to change the world you realise that you can't change people - they can only change themselves and their own behaviour and they have to acknowledge that first.

Funny too how just typing this has made me feel better - to get it out of my head!!

Z x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The world turns and things you never dream of sneak up. In my case breast cancer, something I never thought would apply. Treating myself to lots of lovely perfumes and pampering myself to stay one stay one step ahead.