Wednesday, October 12, 2005

So I wonder what the odds are of my friend Ann and I having cancer in the same year? Ok we have different forms but it's strange. She said that she wonders what they fed us in Brazil.

She's one of my oldest friends - we lived in Brazil when we were 8 and have been friends ever since sharing a lot of life experiences. Even having parents seperate at the the same time. I wasn't figuring on supporting her this much though. But her words have been so helpful and she's made me laugh.

Yesterday it felt better to be at the Royal Marsden and feel like we're making progress. I had basic tests yesterday and will have more on Friday - one under a general anaesthetic and a MRI. Radiotherapy and chemo are unlikely given the area of the cancer - they avoid that with younger women - but there will be surgery. The team were wonderful - I think it shocked them that I'd had no symptoms and that I'm so newly married. They are hoping as much as we are that the cancer is small enough that the surgery I need is not too radical. Thinking about the possibility having a hysterectomy is mind boggling. I cried when talking to them.

MacDonalds for lunch yesterday for the first time in years - well hey, it's not going to give me cancer!

Last night I heard that Elk had died. That is so sad. He was one of the original people from Fool.com that entertained me and became a virtual friend. There's another star in the sky where there are some good people - Four*dave, jboa and Patti's earthangel. It has been a sucky sucky week.

I know there will be more tears and possibly some difficult decisions to make, but I'm strengthened by Matt and all of you reading this.

At the risk of sounding too sappy and American (apologies to my stateside friends), I remember how lucky I am as messages of love and goodwishes flood in from all corners of the world. If good vibes heal then I'm better already and I'm sure that it all helps - emotionally if not physically.

At our wedding Col talked about how I have DNA from strong Aussie women behind me. I can't let them down! :o)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zoë, you've already demonstrated plenty of good old Aussie spirit over the last year or so, hope this will stand you in good stead in the weeks to come.

All the very best to you and Matt, and do remember that Burger Kings are better than MacD's! xxxx

Anonymous said...

Probably shouldn't be suggesting Unlucky Fried Kitten, but hey, it's always worked for me as serious comfort food ;)

Zoë said...

I think Blue and Berry would have something to say about that! ;o)